Be the Creed Honoree: Grace Yawman

Student Conduct held its sixth Be the Creed award ceremony this March, which included recognizing 26 Be the Creed Award nominees. Grace Yawman was selected on Thursday, March 25, as the 2021 honoree.

Yawman was nominated by her supervisor Christy Coleman, assistant director of group fitness at Campus Recreation. Since 2018, Yawman has worked with Coleman beginning as a group fitness instructor. According to Coleman, Yawman’s hard work, eagerness to learn and capability of handling greater responsibilities led her to becoming program assistant.

With a passion for fitness and overall wellness, Yawman thought being a group fitness instructor was the best job to pursue during her time at Auburn.

“…I knew coming to Auburn was a big step for me but that it was going to be worth it,” Yawman said. “It was not long before I realized the Auburn family was a real thing. Christy has been an incredible role model for me and someone I look up to. My nomination for the Be the Creed Award came from Christy, and to me that was enough recognition.”

Yawman describes her job as one of the most rewarding experiences of her collegiate career, but the most important part is that it led her to Coleman.

While nominators were asked to select two of the Auburn Creed attributes that described the nominee, Coleman said she could have selected them all. And instead of picking two, she picked three, which were honesty, respect and sympathy for others.

“At work, Grace is all in,” Coleman said. “She is honest and has earned the respect of her coworkers. Grace teaches one of our most challenging fitness formats, but her participants feel her empathy as she coaches through challenges. They know Grace will push them but encourage them along the way.”

Coleman also described Yawman as someone who listens to feedback without complaint or criticism and then makes adjustments to better herself. Pure joy is how Coleman described what it felt like when she learned Yawman was selected as this year’s Be the Creed honoree.

“To my surprise, I was selected to be the 2021 recipient of this award and my feeling of being recognized grew to a feeling of never-ending support from my bigger Auburn family,” Yawman said, “Not only do I believe in The Creed, but Auburn believes in me. This award affirms my character and that I have what it takes to share the joy Auburn has given me and the lessons Auburn has taught me with the rest of the world.”

Next, Yawman is headed to Northeastern University to pursue her doctorate of physical therapy.

Learn more about Grace Yawman:

Hometown: Sleepy Hollow, NY

Major: Exercise Science

Favorite class you’ve taken so far? Introduction to Philosophy

Favorite Auburn tradition: Cheering on the Auburn Tigers from The Jungle. Coach Bruce Pearl actually spoke to a group of us when I was in Auburn for Camp War Eagle, and I have ever since then loved watching Auburn Men’s Basketball.

Describe your time at Auburn in one word: Enlightening

Favorite building on campus? The Kinesiology Building

What do you like to do in your free time? Find a new spot to hike with my dog.

Where is the most selfie worthy spot on campus? On the Campus Green in front of the stadium.

Favorite campus event? Hey Day- it truly emphasizes the significance a simple “hey” can have on someone’s day.

2021 Be the Creed Honorees:

Aeryal Bailey

Andy Cole

Carsen Storey

Cayla McCoy

Daniel Rhodes

Day Story

Elli Bradley

Evanthi Hettiaratchi

Grace Yawman

Jazsmin Williams

Jennifer Orona

Jenny Herrell

Joshua Terk

Kylie Seaton

Lauren Binnig

Leah Stephenson

Logan Cook

Madeleine Greenwood

Maggie Anderson

Megan Moreland

Messiah Williams-Cole

Parker Quinn

Riley Powers

Sasha Cohen

Taylor Gusler

Zistine Mones

Recent Posts

Archives

Archives

Last modified: 04/23/2021