Unknown-1 UnknownOn Friday, January 22, AL-NASPA honored Auburn University Student Affairs staff members Janise Mckenzie and John-Michael Roehm at the 2016 awards ceremony. The event took place at Auburn University at Montgomery in Montgomery, Ala. Each year, NASPA honors prominent higher education and student affairs leaders, programs, and initiatives that cultivate student learning and success.

McKenzie, graduate assistant in the office of student involvement, received the award for outstanding graduate student. “I enjoy hearing what peers are accomplishing at other institutions as well as being there to congratulate them on a job well done,” said McKenzie. “When they were reading the description of the recipient, I thought to myself that sounds familiar, but surely that’s not me! So when my name was announced, I was honestly shocked! It was a great feeling to win an award, but I think I was more so honored that someone thought enough of me and the work that I have done to even nominate me. Even if I did not receive the award, knowing someone thought enough of me means the world.”

Roehm, coordinator for student organizations, was recognized for his contributions as a new professional in Student Affairs. Although he was unable to personally attend the event he felt it was an honor to receive an award for his work.

“It is a true honor to have been recognized at AL-NASPA”, said Roehm. “The State of Alabama has so many talented and passionate student affairs professionals and to be recognized for my work is truly a humbling experience. I am so proud to work for the Division of Student Affairs at Auburn University and represent all of the incredible men and women who work alongside each other day-in and day-out with the ultimate goal of enhancing student life here at Auburn.”

To learn more about the NASPA Awards and the 2016 winners visit the NASPA website.

Written by Rachel Eilers

Last modified: 03/11/2016